Monday, March 30, 2015

Maruti Swift

It takes a 1248cc diesel engine,
4 cylinders,
16 valves,
a max. torque of 190 newton meters 
@ 2000 revolutions every fuckin' minute,

it takes rack & pinion steering
& drum brakes & disc brakes
& steel tyres,

it takes one thousand five hundred kilos of metal
moving, always moving 
in 48 second loops on the assembly-line,

painted & cut & bolted & fed
by workers.

It
takes
workers

on 9 hour shifts,
one 30min lunch break,
and two 7 minute tea-cum-toilet breaks
(those two-seconds-late-&-pay-cut-breaks)

it takes "if my leg itched, I do not even
have time to scratch it,"

it takes waiting
for one's own fingers
 
it takes white-hot "discipline" cut by teeth,
welded by metal to townships
with smoke-grey evenings

it takes 13 days of occupation,
months of sit-ins, lock-outs, it takes 147 workers
arrested on manufactured evidence,

to make one of these.



(thanks to Anumeha Yadav, Satish Dalal and Imaan Khan)

6 comments:

Shalini Soni said...

This is really informative. Very good article sharing Maruti Suzuki Swift. I want to know prices to Buy Maruti Swift Tyres Online for All 4 Tyres of my car.

Tanya Bawa said...

Very nice article sharing Maruti Suzuki Swift Car.If anyone wants to Buy Maruti Swift Tyres Online then visit our site Tyreonwheels and get tyre in lowest price.

Baka Crane said...

Hello Dear thanks for sharing information sharing Maruti Swift Dzire Car. Then More Info : http://autoportal.com/newcars/marutisuzuki/swift-dzire/

tyreon wheels said...

Nice blog,thanks for sharing this information. Buy Maruti Swift Tyres Online in very lowest price.

Yuvraj Bajaj said...

I am quite never able to post comments, or say things. Thought which prevents me to comment is: Oh, Akhil knows me, right? If I comment, even on this (assumption being, I comment on your facebook posts 10,000 times a day), he will think I am being such a something/pest to his life.

But tonight, I am so tired, that i can not care for this thought. So here it is.

I loved this poem. I heard it on May Day. I was sitting there, and with each line - I was being swayed by what was happening.

Months later, going with my dad - who works in an 2wheeler parts manfacturing company dealing with Maruti; asked him sort of: is there some tension between maruti and it's employees. He told me, maruti gives their workers children admission in an international school; the pay which they get is 1.5times more than what employees (at same level) in other companies get, there are other benefits. Yet they do like this. Almost saying: bloody ungrateful.
There, I told him - I had heard a poem quite saying the opposite.

habeeb rahman said...

Forex Trading Company Italy | Forex Trading Company Albania


The contents are really cohesive and makes sense.
I really appreciate.
Thank You.